Everyday, the world is becoming a more segregated and divided place. Between wars, conflicts, racism, sexism, indifference, and anger, the everyday has been corrupted and taken apart at its seams. All in the name of sacrifice for the greater good. But there are ways to fight back and reclaim the normalcy of everyday life. There are ways to plan forward with the goal of personal growth at the forefront. And as we empower our individual selves in the everyday, we do our bit for the movements against the overarching systems of oppression.
Firgun is a Hebrew word which means to have a generous, unselfish joy in the accomplishment of someone else. In its essence, Firgun is the belief that we must rejoice for each other even when the others’ achievement has no direct bearing on us.
And this is what this initiative is about. Fighting against oppression requires that we educate ourselves, learn new skills, find our way to the institutions that keep us out, and use our experiences to bring out a perspective straight from the ground. We chose the name The Firgun Project, because the ultimate goal is not personal fulfilment, it is the realization of our collective potential. And for that, we will often do things that will have a positive effect on the people around the world even if we stand to gain nothing directly from it. We will celebrate their successes. Because their joy is also ours.
I have been fortunate in my life to have been blessed with the opportunity to go to school. I hold a bachelors degree in political science and two masters degrees in international relations and journalism respectively. Over the years, I have honed my skills in creative writing, blogging, photography, video editing, and public speaking. I have had the help and support of teachers, family, and friends, without which I would have never learned how to think for myself.
I am happy to share everything I know with you and I am hoping to learn a lot from you as well. My journey of learning is only beginning. And I would love it if you joined me.
The Firgun Project offers completely free guidance for:–
- Creative Writing in English
- Public Speaking in English
- Social Media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Web Design and Blogging using WordPress
- Photography and Videography
- Helping you plan your career (after High School and College)
- Finding resources in your local community to help you achieve your professional goals.
- Goal-setting and planning based on your specific situation and circumstances
This project is also a safe space for people of all ages, races, religions, abilities, genders, and sexual orientations. If you need someone to talk to about your personal problems or your current situation, don’t hesitate to approach us. No matter what you wish to discuss, you will not be judged. Also, complete confidentiality of the matter and your identity will be maintained.
Lastly, all forms of racism, communalism, sexism, Islamophobia, anti-Semitism, and anti-LGBTIQ sentiment will not be tolerated. Please be respectful of people. That is all we ask.
So if you fit ANY of the following categories, feel free contact us.
- Syrian/Rohingya/Kurdish Refugee
- Resident of Palestine
- Refugee from another country with an official UN document
- LGBTIQ from a country where same-sex relations are banned/criminalized
- Survivor of sexual abuse/domestic violence/Female Genital Mutilation/Human Trafficking
- Family income < $20,000 in America and other developed countries
- Family income < $12,000 in all other countries
- Persecuted Minority/Marginalized community in your home country
- Atheist/Agnostic/non-believer/Non-Muslim in an Islamic/Muslim-majority country
If you don’t fit any of the above categories but still feel you qualify for our services, don’t hesitate to reach out. Please note that at any given point, we will be working with no more than three people. However, if you are asked to wait for a few weeks before we can start working with you, please be assured that we will stay in touch with you and that you will still receive emails from us.